When I decide to do something, it is usually full steam ahead, and this week has been no different. It seems like I have been sorting and tossing stuff for months, and STILL there was so much left to sort through and get rid of in the last two weeks. And no way everything would fit in eight suitcases -- even big ones. Last week we shipped four boxes to China, hoping they will all arrive safe and sound. Some things were stored, some tossed, some put in the give away pile; everyone made sacrifices. And somehow! with the help of very good, hard-working, life-saving friends, the storage unit was loaded and the suitcases were packed and put into the car much like a jigsaw puzzle. Then Monday afternoon we were on our way! It is still a little surreal, and with the visa issue an unknown* there is still some uncertainty. Makes life exciting, doesn't it? I know we will weather whatever happens. It's just good practice for all the things that will seem arbitrary and bureaucratic where we are going. Flexibility is the name of the game. :)
At the same time I continue to get reports from our China staff and Linda (still in China) on more areas for improvement and tasks to tackle. Yippee! I love a good challenge, and this is going to be the best!
*For those who may not know, the Chicago Chinese Consulate was initially unwilling to accept our visa applications because we are technically outside their jurisdiction. This is typically not a problem so I was caught off guard. Eventually they did accept them but with no guarantee that they would be processed. I won't know until we go pick them up on Thursday what the verdict is! I am praying fervently (along with many others) that we have a merciful clerk who will process them, not just for the 90 days we requested, but for 120 days which is what Ryan received for his last visa. I believe in miracles!! I hope you believe, too.
From Gallatin, TN
Donna
No comments:
Post a Comment