Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Embarrassment of Riches

Today we did some serious unpacking. Which was ambitious because we really don't have drawer space yet to put things away. It was embarrassing. We have SO much. Ridiculous amounts of clothing, though certainly not by US standards. Much of what my kids have is hand me downs; most of my stuff is years old. But still. Emptying those suitcases, it just never seemed to stop.When I lamented about how much we have, Lindsay asked if we are selfish. I never thought about it quite like that. I don't think we are particularly selfish, but do we have more than we need? Yes, yes, we do. Are we comfortable? More than! Do we have as much "stuff" as most of the people we consider our peer group? No, not really, and generally our "stuff" is older, rarely the latest model. But still.

So what did we do today? A management team meeting first thing. I always found these very insight-generating, and today's was as well. I took a lot of notes and need to review them to make sure I follow up on a few particularly difficult issues. With Linda here, she ran the meeting; next week I will be in Beijing and then the following Tuesday it will be my meeting to run. Cool. I am looking forward to being back in the management saddle.

Later on I went shopping to outfit the kitchen. Pots and pans and papertowels! A plate for my sandwich (just finished a toasted cheese...yum); cups for the kids, and various and sundry other kitchen necessities. I shopped for an electric frying pan (probably the one most used item in my kitchen) and found one possibility but I am going to keep looking. I DID find a muffin maker! woohoo! So now if all my friends will send me boxes of muffin mix, I'll have a good excuse to go back and get that. It's the closest I will get to baked goods for awhile. I did have my eye out for a larger toaster oven to make brownies, as well, so brownie mix would not go unused either.

After lunch the girls headed to Eagles Wings 2 to play with the babies. Aww, that's my girls! They were gone for quite awhile. I cleaned the kitchen and started the unpacking. So glamorous, isn't it?  :)

Now I am tired. Yes, it's only 8:30 but that jetlag is tenacious.  For all of you waking up in America: Have a great day!

Donna

No comments: