Friday, October 15, 2010

Today Is the Day

Today we leave. There is so much, so very much, wrapped up in those few words that I'll admit it's hard to blog. This should be the moment for expressing my excitement, confessing a few fears, and perhaps even some profound thoughts on the journey to this day and the journey ahead. But it's too much. Too much to get down in writing all that I am thinking, feeling, hoping and believing. Here's what I can say:

I am really, really happy that we are nearly there. I will miss a lot of what we are leaving behind, but I guess that's a good reflection on our Florida lives. I am so excited about the challenges ahead. I love the "idea" of having my cake and eating it, too... of working but also having a lot of flexibility to be an effective parent. I love that I will be mom to seven (one in absentia, of course, now that he has a wife). I love managing a team, helping people grow  and develop and take pride in their work and in themselves. I love learning new things (and boy do I have a lot to learn).


I have made big moves before: I have lived in six states since leaving home for college, bought four houses, adopted three kids, changed jobs several times, traveled to four continents (with children) and done it almost all on my own. It all pales in comparison to this: Moving with three children to the other side of the world, having only a very basic knowledge of the language and relying on the hearts of friends and strangers to support us financially (way, way outside my comfort zone).

Thank you to everyone who supports us emotionally, spiritually and financially. You are as much a part of this great adventure as we are. Believe it. It takes a village to do this. Are you as excited as I am? I hope so! Do you have moments of doubt and disbelief? Me, too! Are you inspired to be a part of something that makes a difference not in terms of profit and loss but in real lives? If I weren't, I wouldn't be here!

So...let's GO!  Next post will be from China!!!

With a thankful heart,
Donna

2 comments:

Marji said...

That was beautiful Donna, you have all of my admiration and hopes for smooth paths ahead.

Marji

Anonymous said...

Donna,

I hope you & the girls, the suitcases, & mailed boxes all arrive safe and sound in China! Can't wait to follow you in this great adventure.

Valerie (a/k/a Dr Evil)
PS Doing my small part to help via Amazon.