The short part is: We are here!
The sweet part is: Safe and sound!
The trip was amazingly smooth, the girls were terrific. There were a very few bumps here and there, which I'll tell about later, but really nothing significant.
It is not as cold here as it was in Chicago, so I am happy about that. Everyone has welcomed us with open arms. We did some shopping today; the girls and I are busy planning our new living space. It will take 2 weeks for their new bunk bed to be delivered, so we will send photos after that.
This really is China, the sights, sounds and smells. It's easy to forget how different life is here. The children and staff are all great. Marissa is amazing with the disabled children and babies. Our babies are all adorable; the little children have personalities that steal your heart. We are holding at 17 for now, but have idenitified a few more babies to add to our home after we get a bit more settled.
Kristen is intrigued by the concept of no carseat or seatbelts and is not unhappy that the ayis (staff) are happy to hand out little cookies to her on a regular basis. She will be spoiled here, I think. Oh, when she inroduced herself this morning, she said, "Wo jiao Chang E". (My name is Chang E) So Chang E she is! I think that's pretty cool. The other two are using their American names.
Lindsay has had the hardest time, not surprisingly. We visited the orphanage where she grew up today. She was swarmed like a little celebrity by many workers who knew her when she lived there. It was not easy for her, but she behaved so well despite her discomfort. We will not be spending much time there, and that is good for Lindsay.
We are all sick, so please keep us in your thoughts for quick recovery and also for the inevitable adjustments to such a COMPLETELY different life. Thanks to everyone who I know has been thinking of us these past days, and a special thanks to the entire Kruse family who put us up and put up with us during the final days of preparation in Chicago. :)
1 comment:
Donna, I'm trying to imagine what it feels and smells and sounds like, but I can't even begin to know what you're experiencing. I am so excited for you and your girls, far freaking out.
Marji
Post a Comment