Well, I said I wanted babies. And boy, oh boy, have I got babies! Our household has been running very well with 6 children 2 years old and under. Today a new baby arrived. She is supposedly 8 months old, but looks like a newborn, and has that newborn cry as well. She actually looks like a concentration camp survivor, that's what came to mind when I first held her. You can tell she is older than a newborn because she is very alert and interested in everything around her. She is also amazingly strong given her physical condition. She needs to be fed patiently and every couple of hours around the clock.
Tonight has been really tough, the babies won't settle down and are much fussier than normal. What's really funny is that it's the babies that have been *ours* for awhile who are fussy, not the two new arrivals. The little boy that I got on Christmas Day - JW (Ryan and I call him John Wayne) - has been fine. And the new teeny girl - JS - has been a little fussy, but she really doesn't make much noise.
Although tonight is a bit rough, I also have to just brag on all my babies. I am so excited to see each one change and grow and develop day by day. WT, the little blind (and probably hard of hearing) boy is reaching out to the world more each day. He has learned how to wave his arms to make his bouncy seat bounce, and he is now playing little games with his hands and grabbing his feet. He smiles and doesn't startle as easily when he is touched. He even cries (especially tonight!) which doesn't sound so great, but it is wonderful to see him reacting to his environment instead of just hiding in his shell.
YY and JN, two little girls who just need to find families soooooooon, are working hard to sit up. They are getting stronger all the time. :)
In a day or two, our little girl who has been in the hospital - LJ - should be coming home. After that I have declared there is no more room in the inn! Our ayi staff is amazing, I am so thankful for each of them. But they really can't do a good job of feeding, changing, bathing and holding any more babies than we have. The only way we can do any more is with more staff. And well, you know what that means...more money. So far we only have funds for about half the number of children that we have already living in this house. We are stretched to the limit. (In fact, the milk allotment for the older children ran out last week, so no more milk until January!!)
1 comment:
I just found your blog through Cherry Blossom Life... been reading it voraciously- amazed at the work you are doing in Henan, where one day my referral will come from as I am with CCAI in the waiting child program and they only work with orphanages in Henan now. I was so thrilled to learn anything about this province or any work being done there. Thank you for helping these beautiful children... I am just in tears wishing I were a part of it. Someday, maybe, I too can *return* (have not made that 1st trip) to China and do similar work. I hope that is in my life's plan. It is something I have always dreamed of doing.
It has taken many years, a divorce, and venturing out as a single to realize the dream of adopting from this amazing, troubled, beautiful country. Just knowing I can come to your blog gives me hope. :)
Post a Comment