We have made the decision to return China. I have accepted a full-time position as China Director for Eagles Wings. You can read all about it on the page titled "About Our Work".
The number one question I am asked (okay, after "Are you crazy?") is when? While we are still working out the details, the plan is to fly out of Chicago about a week after Ryan and Laura's wedding, which is August 6. (And for those who hadn't yet heard about THAT, I'll have to catch you up another time. Let's just say we are all very happy and excited.)
Our timing depends on several things, first being the sale of our house. We are very fortunate to have serious buyers interested, but they need to sell their home, and this isn't a great time, as we all know too well.
The second biggest issue is funding. Although I have been offered the position of China Director, it does not come with a salary or benefits (at least not the kind that pay the bills). In order to finalize our plans, I need to raise half of our support for the next year. My goal is to have it raised by the end of June. Yup, just three weeks. So that's where you come in. Family, friends, acquaintances. If you are here reading this, you at least know of me, and probably what you know is that I am a slightly adventurous mother of one son and three Chinese daughters who has already taken them to China for a short time and plans to move there and help make life a little better for children who don't have a mom to do it for them. Read through this blog and you'll find out more about our time in China in 2009.
I promise to blog about far more interesting things than just fundraising, but sadly, it really is a huge focus right now and will be until the funds are raised. In some ways it is a distraction, but until there is a better way for people like us to be supported, the responsibility for passing the hat and holding the tin cup will be ours. :)
So what do we need? In the next 3 weeks I need 250 people to send $100 each to COAT on our behalf (see Fund Raising page for details). I am not sure I actually know 250 people, so that means I really, really need everyone that I know to help. If this sounds like begging, maybe it is. This is no time for pride or reticence...the work is life changing, and no one can do it alone. I can only do my part if there are people (250 people and more!) who believe in what we are doing and are willing to partner with us in prayer, in encouragement and in giving. I promise you that the dinner out, the cable channels, or the pair of shoes that you pass up to make a $100 donation will be soon forgotten. The difference you make in the lives of the children in Jiaozuo today and the ones we will be able to help in the future will never end.
Thanks!
Donna, Marissa, Lindsay and Kristen....China bound
4 comments:
I put it on my facebook and count me in for 100.00
Sean
Well, we've never actually met, but I still know you well enough to know I want to pitch in a couple of hundred. :-)
Blow kisses to Beijing for me on your way through?
Patricia
I am in, too, Donna! God bless you and your girls as you continue this adventure. You have my admiration for your courage. I know that you are doing good work.
. . . and I have been fortunate enough to meet Donna and her girls! They are great!
Nancy
Oh how wonderful! Wish I could be there with you. We'll be praying for you!
Post a Comment