Tuesday, June 29, 2010

In China, Life Goes On

While we are making trips to Goodwill, sorting our remaining belongings into TAKE, STORE and BYEBYE boxes and trying to figure out more ways to raise the funds we need, life at Eagles Wings goes on. Every Tuesday morning (which it is now) the staff meets to review issues, update the status of the children and the staff and share other information and announcements. Shortly after a summary of the meeting arrives in my inbox. I love getting this email every week because it keeps me in touch with the children I love (and miss) and the wonderful staff members who work so hard for our eaglets. I always open it with a little trepidation in case there is a sick child or a problem that needs more help than I can give from here. But today's email had mostly good news...some children who are going to be submitted for adoption, two sick babies back from the hospital, others getting over summer colds. There was also the less welcome news that the minimum wage for our city has been raised by 25%. Wow. That will have a significant impact on budgets; please pray that new funding sources will be found to cover this significant expense. One of the important issues I will need to tackle this fall will be the most effective and efficient way to staff our homes to balance the needs of the children for consistent, quality care with reasonable schedules and legal wages for the staff and the constraints of a budget dependent on donations. Can't wait!

Just a reminder...our goal is 250 people who will donate $100.  So far we have 63! Can we get 10 more today?

No comments: