Friday, June 18, 2010

It Takes A Village

Although today we often associate the saying "It takes a village to raise a child" with Hillary Clinton, in fact, it is a very old African proverb, common to several tribes. When I first heard it, it struck a chord deep in me.

Let me give you a brief, though not completely happy, update on a little boy I introduced you to on this blog in January of 2009.  He was my Christmas baby, handed to me wrapped in many quilts with no more explanation than "Take him home".  So I did, to Eagles Wings 2.  Once unwrapped, he turned out to be the cutest, happiest little 9 month old boy. We called him John Wayne because it sounds very close to his Chinese name. He was active and inquisitive and not slowed at all by the spina bifida which had caused his right foot to be clubbed. Other than that he seemed perfectly healthy. I quickly worked to find a "village" of people who would be able to correct the club foot, help me take him to Beijing for the procedure, foster him during the process, and also caring people around the globe who would raise the funds to make it happen.  Together we did it!  John Wayne had a straight foot and gained weight and strength in foster care. He is now back in Eagles Wings 2, smiling and walking. Sadly, he has not yet been adopted and now faces another health crisis due to his spina bifida, and once again it is my privilege to find the resources to help him. A forever family will make a huge difference for John Wayne, but until then we must be his village. Being at Eagles Wings will enable me to train the staff there to get John Wayne and others like him the care they need, to tap into the village of dedicated people in China and around the world who have a heart for our special needs orphans.


Many people think I am crazy, most could not fathom taking this leap into the deep end themselves, a few hope that someday they will be able to follow. When asked why, I have to say, if not me, then who? 
The truth is I CAN'T do this alone...I CAN'T go without a team behind me to tie up loose ends, handle little things that are BIG things from 8000 miles away, and make sure that care packages come our way on a fairly regular basis, I CAN'T go without a bevy of faithful friends who don't let a day go by without keeping us in their prayers, and I CAN'T go without many, many, many people who are willing to stretch a bit and even sacrifice a little to support us financially. If not you, then who?


In 2006 I wrote a brief submission for the lovely/astounding/touching coffee table book published by Love Without Boundaries, Love's Journey 2 The Red Thread*, about my "village".

So now I see why everyone can't do what I do, 
but I hope that the people in my life understand 
that without their encouragement, their help 
and their support, I could never do what I do either.

Those words are even more true as we set our sights on a new life in China, on the front lines, so to speak, of the efforts to bring a better quality of life to children who otherwise would be quite forgotten.

*www.lovewithoutboundaries.com

No comments: