Get up at 7am to give the two kids who go to public school taxi money. Crawl back under my 7 layers of blankets and quilts to warm up for a little bit. Answer 27 questions from various girls who come in to "just ask one question" while I supposedly sleep. ;)
Get up at 8am to take a shower. Get water started. This is similar to letting the water warm up at home except that there is a water heater that is triggered when you turn the handle all the way to the hot side. It takes a few minutes to click on and then heat the water. There are solar panels so during the day the water may be 120 degrees so as soon as the machine starts pumping the hot water you are good. At 8am, however, the water was about 55 degrees so it would be a bit of a wait for shower water. Wait. Wait. Hmm...not happening.
Get my girls getting dressed while I get dressed and make some toast with a simply fabulous blackberry jam I found at the store this week...worth dealing with seeds for, EXCEPT that when I opened it it turned out to be seedless! Score! Then we started school for today with dictation and grammar. Yes, something right out of the early 20th century...an experiment in back to basics schooling that I think will really pay off. The girls each had a different dictation passage to study, and today I dictated while they wrote. Kristen studied the spelling of words very well, but the semi-colon, umm, not so much. The look on her face when I said "semi-colon" had us all laughing so hard! And there were THREE ; in her dictation! Schooling the girls is really fun, at least for me. They'll have to speak for themselves.
Next, I swept and mopped the floors. Sweeping and mopping could be my full-time job. The floors are all shiny tile; there is tons of dust (and crumbs) every day and the tile floor shows every mark and smudge. Oh, and there are six kids living here...that could be a factor! Put a load of laundry in the dryer (takes about 4 hours to dry the equivalent of a half load at home) and one in the washer. I can't read the buttons so everything gets washed the same way. Seems fine so far.
In between there somewhere two of our Australian volunteers came to borrow a saw and use the internet. Volunteers are the backbone of our program; I appreciate them all sooo much. They were apologetic for being an inconvenience, but I am happy to be able to help them in even such a small way, not an inconvenience at all! I am just sorry they had to climb the 99 stairs to get here. :D
Now I am blogging and answering school questions. I *should* be getting my month's accounts ready for our Administration Manager who will be here shortly to review my receipts. eeek I need a system for this...okay, I need a system for a LOT of stuff - lol. I'll get there. Yup, I will. :)
The rest of the day will include a quick (I hope) shopping trip. The last one was way way too eventful, but that's another story. A trip to our baby house to see the three children who are being released from the hospital today (intestinal problem resulting in colostomy, brain tumor and cleft baby with a heart problem) to make sure they are settling in. Finish typing my notes from my blind training seminar so I can share them with other English speakers. Sometime before I go to bed I'll try again for a shower.
Oh, and those receipts. I better get to those.
Donna
No comments:
Post a Comment