Thursday, November 11, 2010

Speaking of Bedtime....

It's been an interesting evening here. I came home from a meeting with Dr. Xu, our part-time physician to find an urgent message. Two children, a brother and sister, who lost their parents a couple of months ago had been turned over to the orphanage. I had been aware of these children and their situation for many weeks. The orphanage director requested they be placed at Eagles Wings in order to take advantage of the better schools in our district. We agreed, but then heard nothing; apparently a different situation had been arranged, perhaps with extended family. Well, whatever it was, I guess it didn't work out, because the children were at the orphanage today and in my house tonight! We hurriedly rearranged and had beds ready for them when they arrived. They seem nice, know a few words of English (hello, good-bye, thank you, so far) and after a little awkwardness (and I am sure a lot of unanswered questions about this crazy Chinese/American family!) interacted well with the other kids. The boy (12yo) gravitated to Hong Wei, and Lindsay took the little girl (10) and soon they were reading together. Excellent!

Until bedtime...6 girls in one room...oh my! oh dear!  But NO, my friends, it is the TWO BOYS who I have had to repeatedly remind that it is time for sleep! Almost 11pm and I heard more noise from their room just a few minutes ago. LOL Well, talking is better than fighting, and heaven knows these kids needs some friends to talk to. Keep us all in your prayers.

No comments: