If you are someone hanging on every word of this blog, this is your lucky day...I am going to post twice! :)
First, Happy Thanksgiving! I know I am a few days late, but better late than never. I hope everyone had a fantastic Turkey Day, filled with friends, family and most importantly
FOOD. It has been both fulfilling (in a non-caloric way) and a little depressing to see all the posts on FB about what people are planning, are making and are eating for Thanksgiving. It may surprise you to know that turkey really is a very American food and not readily available here. I do know of a few people who found a way to get a turkey, but I am sure they will guard their secret sources closely. The large, Western-style hotels in Zhengzhou (2 hours away from us) also advertise Thanksgiving buffets at appropriately Western-style prices. It may be interesting to try one of those someday, but this year we stayed home and made our own feast. Sort of.
Our menu:
- Sweet and sour pork (premade in the ready to eat section at the grocery store) $4
- Dumplings (2 kinds, frozen, boiled) $4
- Rice (made in the rice cooker by Kristen) no idea on cost we have about a 20 pound bag in the cupboard
- Sweet potatoes (actually leftovers from the night before) half a dollar?
- Mixed vegetables, corn/carrots/green beans (steamed with garlic) $1
 |
"Crystal", "Lucy", Lindsay, "Peter", Kristen and Marissa*
Note the taped on tablecloth...another thing I'll get to eventually. ;) |
So for under $10 we had our Thanksgiving feast, a little bit of everyone's favorite local fare. "Some" of us also spoke longingly of stuffing, gravy, turkey, cranberry sauce and pie. But it didn't dampen our thankfulness for all the blessings we experience every day. I can honestly say that we are far more conscious of all we have to be thankful for here than most days in the US. And I don't just mean the "things" we have that so many here don't; I also mean the opportunity to be here, experience a life most people can't even imagine and to know that everyday we have a chance to be a blessing to someone else. We are also conscious of the blessing of having a family, something we hope and pray for every single one of our kids but know that many will never have.
I have to add how thankful I am for Eagles Wings; for Linda and her indomitable spirit that worked through every obstacle to make this a reality; for every donor and sponsor who keeps the bills paid, a roof over everyone's head and food on the table; for our dedicated management team who work between 5 and 8 days a week...available at all hours for whatever is needed, always with a great attitude; for the kids who face each challenge and each day with a smile and for my three sweet girls who have left everything they know and love and never complain, just wish for home now and then. I am so very thankful that God has led me to this place and this life. I never could have imagined it in my wildest dreams, but it's a perfect fit.
*My foster children's names have been changed to protect their privacy.
No comments:
Post a Comment