So today was an adventure. Ever since the brownie mix arrived (THANK YOU, BECKY!), my girls have been asking WHEN I was going to attempt this amazing feat, but I kept telling them I needed a day when I had at least a few hours free...who knew what obstacles I would face?
Yes, this is the *oven* I used, and as you can see below, the dial is in centigrade. All that fifth grade math is coming in handy!!
One of my first challenges was measuring the oil and water...our ayis do not use any measuring devices for cooking. I have made a lot of brownies so I figured I could eyeball it, but if you calculate the cost of those brownies, including shipping and the fact that it would take weeks to get another box, I really didn't want to take a chance. Happily, I found a reasonably accurate measuring device that is not in short supply at our house!
Ah, yes, the pan. Finding any ovenproof container that would fit inside the toaster oven took several shopping trips. No one in the department store or the grocery store understood what I needed!
I am happy to say that a little innovation and a good dose of desperation resulted in some really, really good brownies...there were lots of happy faces tonight. To quote Lindsay, who is not much into sweets, "ooooooooooooh". I'll just add my own, "Ahhhhhh", and leave it at that.
3 comments:
What a great little story that gives us an inkling of the new learning and adjustments you have to make! Enjoy the chocolate! xxoosink
Hey, look at you, a domestic wizard. I think the food I would miss most would be cheese, lots of ooey gooey melted cheese, yummm, cheese.
Marji
The brownies look great! I bet they tasted extra special with all you had to go through to get them made.
I'm really enjoying reading about your time in China!
Colleen
Post a Comment