One part of my new job at Eagles Wings that I didn't mention, is also the part that I am probably most excited about.
I will be housemother to seven! And this time it won't be with a staff of ayis around the clock.
I will be piloting our older kids home which will include my three daughters and four children aged 10, 11, 12 and 13, who have minor special needs and attend school all day. The five girls, 2 boys and I will be living in a 3 bedroom/2 bath apartment (on the 6th floor, of course!), doing our own cooking, cleaning and living together as a family unit. (One of our boys will be leaving us in the fall for a forever family of his own. At that time I will evaluate whether we should add another child to the mix or wait for our family of 7 to bond well first.)
This is a model I hope to replicate as more of our children reach pre-teen age with little chance for adoption. Gaining life skills for success in adulthood, English skills which will greatly enhance employment opportunities and eventual independence for as many young people as possible is the ultimate goal. I can't wait to get started!!
For the rest of my job description, see the page marked "About Our Work".
Donna
No comments:
Post a Comment