I have been working on learning who will be in our house, their names, ages and special needs. It's quite a bunch and growing! Right now there are fourteen children in Eagles Wings 2. Nine girls and five boys. Just this week two new boys arrived...a 19 year old and a seven month old! The 19 year old was orphaned as a young teen. He is doing well in school and so has been allowed to continue his studies although technically he has aged out. How wonderful is that! It will be nice to have a big kid around the house... something we have been missing at our house these last couple of years. The new baby is blind, which means we will have two blind infants. There is also a child with spina bifida, one with muscular dystrophy and two with CP, so lots of mobility challenges there. We will be working on schooling options for two of them since they cannot walk. I'd be happy to do the teaching, but my Chinese is certainly not up to it!! I have also been reading up on early childhood development for blind infants as well as the different types of MD. (That's the researcher in me being put to good use!) Lots to learn.
EW2 can potentially house 30 children, although right now we are targeting 20. But even that can't be accomplished without additional funding for day to day needs as well as more local staff. I so appreciate the kind and generous donations that have come in, but we haven't accomplished the goal of twenty $1000 sponsors yet. As uncomfortable as it makes me to ask for donations, I know what it will mean for twenty children to have a better chance at a fuller, healthier life. Please think about it....
As for our own progress, I have gotten visa information that is encouraging. Please pray that we will be approved for a 90-day visa. That will mean just one trip to Hong Kong to renew during our first five month stay. (A 30-day visa would mean we would have to trek to HK, all four of us, once a month--- eeek!) I may change my mind as the snow piles up... a trip to warmer weather may sound very, very .... warm. :)
1 comment:
{{{{{Donna}}}}}
I am so happy and proud for you and your family. I loved reading your story and hearing about how God is working through you. What an amazing gift.
On a practical note, we would love to donate to your expenses and EWII. Money is tight right now but starting with the next paycheck, we will start contributing on a regular basis. It will be small at first but hopefully I can increase the amount in the next few months.
Please keep up your blog.
In Him,
Barbara
Post a Comment