Monday, December 13, 2010

Mission Accomplished!

We have a Christmas tree! That was my main objective for the day. In between visiting our school and giving feedback on lesson plans, visiting Eagles Wings 2 and discussing the therapy schedule for our three severely delayed blind children, picking up some super-secret Christmas presents that have been a bear to find here, checking out a lead on an oven (dead end, probably going to order the first one I found tomorrow) and teaching an English class at a local kindergarten (long story), ZhangYing (my translator and right hand) took me to a great Christmas store at the market. I found just what I was looking for, plus lights and ornaments. The shopkeeper was not bargaining, certainly not for a foreigner who is probably desperate for a tree. But at about $35 it wasn't worth trying to find another place with ones this nice.

Tonight we put together the tree and then I gave the kids glitter glue pens and a ton of glass ornaments (which are thankfully plastic because many of them dropped on the floor at one time or another).





 They had great fun decorating them with the year, their names and many other traditional and some non-traditional art. Even Peter, who is 14 and a little too cool for the rest of us sat down to do a couple of ornaments. He also helped put the star on the top of the tree...filling Ryan's very large shoes.






And then that special moment when we turned off all the lights and plugged in the tree!  ooooh,  aaaaaah





A great time was had by all! So I guess now it really can be Christmas!!

No comments: