Sunday, September 19, 2010

Update and Apology

First, I want to apologize for this blog turning into a non-stop commercial...

Buy from Amazon!
Get a Kindle! (but I don't think you'll be sorry)
Just Love Coffee!

ugh. I can't tell you how much I dislike that. I can tell you how much I dislike raising funds to support us. I am definitely ready for a winning lottery ticket. :(  The truth is it is the only way to support us while we do the work I believe we are meant to do. SOMEone has to do it...our kids deserve the best we can do, and the staff desperately needs training, direction, coaching and mentoring. They deserve it, too. The work they do is difficult and their wages are low. They need SOMEone who can help them learn and grow and feel pride in their efforts.

Well, you know all that or you wouldn't be reading this. I appreciate you sticking with me through the commercials. We are still far from our goal, much further than I thought we would be. 250 people giving $100 seemed really doable. Many people have gone far above that, but clearly we haven't touched the hearts of 250 people yet. I'll keep trying. I hope you will, too.

Soooooo, many people have asked what's up, when do we leave, etc. As I think you know, our house contract fell through a couple of weeks ago. A real blow. I have been starting all over brainstorming options for the house with time really running out. We NEED to be in China in the next few weeks.  COAT's founder, Linda Shum, will be in China from Sep 27- Oct 27. We have been planning to spend that time getting synced up on processes and doing some of the transition from her day to day management from Australia to my day to day management in China. I hate to think we will not get to China in time and miss this opportunity.

At this point there are at least two people seriously interested in the house, and I have had a few other inquiries. I am also open to a renter, but that is not my favorite option, and it would need to be someone I knew to be extremely responsible. If nothing pans out I have a few ideas, less than ideal ones, in mind. Foreclosure is not out of the question. How awful though! And so out of character for me. I hope it doesn't come to that. The housing crisis hurts everyone, and it sure makes me angry sometimes that I am caught in it.

In the midst of all the uncertainty about the house and finances, we soldier on! This weekend Lindsay packed all of our winter clothes in the suitcases! Yeah, Lindsay! We have sorted every room and every closet, emptied every file (and WHY do we keep so much paper?) and drawer. Marissa is doing a final sort of books...hard! We all love our books so much, but they don't do anyone any good in a storage container, and shipping them to China is cost prohibitive. I hope they are greatly enjoyed in new homes. :)

What have I been doing?  Going in all directions!! At least that's what it feels like. Trying to finish scrapbooks and quilts before we go. Then I will dispose of all my mountains of fabric and boxes of scrapping supplies. Finalizing arrangements for our dogs, trying to find affordable flights (October is not a good time to fly to China), fundraising, running to GoodWill and various other places to recycle and safely dispose of years of lawn and cleaning products. You can't imagine what multiplies in your garage when you are not looking!  LOL

Through it all, the excitement and the discouragement, our God is a great God, and it is my faith that sustains me, along with all my dear friends who share a passion for the less fortunate of this world.
"For great is the Lord and most worthy of praise" Psalm 96:4

No comments: