Marissa is coming along the fastest in conversational Chinese. She has a knack for it, which is really great to see. I have noticed lately that when I am having trouble communicating with the ayis, they will look to Marissa to translate. That doesn't mean she can always do better than I can, but they do recognize that she understands a lot and uses more vocabulary than I do.
Lindsay pretty much refuses to say anything...at least when I can hear. She has a perfectionist streak, and maybe a little something else, holding her back. I am surprised that the Chinese has not come back naturally to her, but not surprised that she is least anxious to immerse herself. She has her reasons. But, I think pretty soon resistance may be futile...today while I was upstairs and she was downstairs with the other kids I heard her let loose with a string of Chinese that sounded pretty darn good.
Kristen is, well, Kristen. She says she doesn't understand her teachers at school. But understanding the words and getting the meaning are two different things. Lindsay said the same when she started kindergarten in the US...but somehow she knew exactly what was going on. Today as we were climbing the 93 steps up to our apartment, Kristen was counting the steps (talk about adding to the pain!). "23-24-25" I said, "Kristen, why don't you count in Chinese?" Her response? "I am, Mommy, I just forgot the words."
I can relate to that.
Kristen with Angie, our student intern translator.
4 comments:
I'm enjoying reading about your experiences.
Gosh I forget english all the time now I just can't imagine!!!!! I so Love reading about your life!!!!
finally a moment to catch up (5 am, up since 3) and see your disney pics and inside your apartment
I will email you tomorrow, sorry I've been so behind!!
I was so much like Kristen. When I was four, I was the only English-speaker at a Japanese preschool. My mom and dad would constantly ask me, "what did they say?" and "what did that mean?" I would shrug my shoulders and respond, "I don't know," all the while still able to follow my teachers' directions to a tee. Hee hee.
Post a Comment