In fact, it's June 10th! How did that happen? We leave for the US in less than 3 weeks, and there is tons to do. But I am so amazed and thankful and really blown away when I look back at the last 9 months and what we have been able to accomplish. (And I do mean WE...my team here is so hardworking, and without the people who support me I wouldn't be here at all...it's a team effort!)
I want to tell you about one thing I have been working on since I arrived. I will also post this on the Eagles Wings blog, but I really do believe that the people who have been so generous to me in their prayers, their encouragement and their financial support are a big part of the changes we have seen, so I want to make sure those of you who check in here know what a difference you are making!
One big thing that I tried to focus on (haha "focus" is not something I feel like I have been able to do a lot of!) right after I arrived in China was our school -- the Place of Hope and Happiness (Xi Wang Le Yuan in Chinese). Educating our kids is a really challenging part of our program. Last summer two wonderful teachers came over to get the school up and running. But over time it was hard for the very inexperienced teachers (actually ayi staff with high school educations, some of whom had also taught in our preschool when it was at the orphanage) to implement everything they had learned and keep the momentum going. We did some jump starting this fall, worked hard on improving and following through on lesson plans, taught how to create realistic goals and then tie those goals to lesson plans, how to have FUN with the kids and do more than straight academics. Now we have exercise, story time, music, arts and crafts, and sharing time. We were also able to purchase some curriculum materials to better meet the needs of our kids and their teachers. Our special needs class is doing amazing things helping kids with significant physical challenges learn basic life skills and COMMUNICATE! Something most people here take for granted they cannot do! It's all starting to come together! One of the best parts for me has been mentoring a wonderful young woman with a love for the kids and a real passion for education. She is now doing a really great job raising the standards and mentoring the teachers, day by day.
That's really why I am here!! To raise up leaders from our local staff, equip and enable them to do the job and also to help them equip others. That's what will make the biggest difference long term. :)
Ok, gotta get to bed...another busy day tomorrow. Saturday is NOT a day off here!
No comments:
Post a Comment