Sunday, November 16, 2008

Garage Sales and Visas

I hate garage sales. I consider them a necessary evil. I far prefer donating to Goodwill or another drop off place. But as a fundraising option, it's not rocket science, so I girded up and jumped in. And it wasn't so bad! "Many hands make light work", and there were many helping hands throughout the week long process. Several friends donated some great stuff to add to the pile in my garage, another group donated tables to display all our treasures, and my hardcore friends came over the night before to sort and sticker for many hours. (THANK YOU!!!) The way they took charge and organized everything on tables made it really quick and easy to get set up in the wee hours of Saturday morning. Then the final contingent helped out with soccer transportation and made sure I wasn't alone during the sale itself. I cannot thank everyone enough (and I am glad it's over).

So what does a garage sale have to do with visas? Well, amazingly, the amount collected from the garage sale was pretty much the amount needed to send off our visas. Hooray! So send off I did early last week. We should have them back in just a few days. So with tickets, passports and visas the big travel items are all set. And not a minute too soon. Our flight is just three weeks from tomorrow. Wow!

1 comment:

Marji said...

Donna, very impressed, very impressed. We were in Costco yesterday picking up a new pair of glasses for Ellie and I lookedup to see a family getting passport photos taken at the film desk and it struck me like brick, oh Great Ceasar's Ghost (and you know I thought something much more salty), mine, Ellie and Mimi's passports have expired and Nora doesn't have one, and I wonder when I would have remembered any of that, if at all, before we leave for our Chinese junket next summer.

So, you see, I'm very impressed with your advanced planning. And if I hadn't seen the folks getting their pictures done yesterday, this lovely post would have reminded me of my own lapse in planning, or not, you never know what's going to trigger my memory, or not.

Marji